• Personal Injury FAQ

    • What damages can I receive for a wrongful death claim?

      After losing a loved one in an accident, you will be able to recover many of the same economic damages available for most personal injury lawsuits, including:

      • Medical expenses
      • Property repairs
      • Long-term care costs
      • Lost earning capacity

      Additional rewards are available for economic damages, like:

      • Pain and suffering
      • Mental anguish

      Additionally, you will be able to recover money for the loss of companionship, the loss of services provided by the decedent to you prior to their passing, and compensation for funeral arrangements. Our lawyers will fight to ensure you maximize the amount of money you receive for your claim.

    • Who can file a wrongful death claim in Utah?

      In Utah, there are three types of beneficiaries who are able to seek damages following the loss of a loved one. These include:

      • Immediate family members: These include the spouse, life partner, biological or adopted children, or other dependents of a decedent.
      • Financial dependents: These include any individual that was financially dependent on the decedent prior to their death. It is presumed that the decedent would have continued to provide financial resources for these parties had they survived their injuries.
      • Extended family: If immediate family and no financial dependents exist, extended family members may be able to take legal action. This can include any adult children, parents, or other relatives.

      Immediate family is afforded precedence in wrongful death claims. This means that if anyone who is financially dependent or an extended family member of the decedent takes legal action, the immediate family members will be considered first.

    • My loved one was in an accident and ended up passing away. What can I do?
      If your loved one was involved in an accident and ended up passing away from their injuries, you may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the at-fault party. These claims are filed on behalf of victims who would have otherwise been able to pursue personal injury claims had they survived.
    • If a lawyer refuses to take my case, does that mean I do not have a valid claim?
      No! A lawyer can refuse to accept a case for a variety of reasons. There are many instances where cases are turned down by lawyers due to a lack of experience and resources. Our Utah personal injury lawyers will meet with you at your earliest convenience to discuss your accident and ways we can help you.
    • If I have no money, can I still hire an attorney?

      Yes. As a victim of an accident, you do not need to have any money up-front to retain legal counsel. Our lawyers at Jardine Law Office handle personal injury claims on a contingency fee basis. This structure allows clients the flexibility of retaining legal assistance from our experienced personal injury lawyers that will fight to help them get justice.

      After we receive a winning verdict on your behalf, our lawyers will keep a percentage of the recoveries. The fees and costs of your case will be discussed during our free consultation so you know what to expect moving forward.

    • How can a personal injury lawyer help me?

      An experienced attorney can provide an array of benefits when it comes to filing a legal claim after being harmed. A personal injury lawyer can take all of the legal work off of your hands as you focus on recovering.

      Our lawyers at Jardine Law Office have decades of combined experience. We will put our experience and knowledge of personal injury law to use to ensure you have the best chance possible of getting justice after being injured.

      We will help you collect each recorded statement from witnesses, gather medical records, and file your legal claim in a timely manner. We strive to help each injured person we work with get justice and collect the monetary compensation they deserve. Our team is committed to helping you make an informed decision and recover damages for your case.

    • Who can be held responsible for my injuries?

      Following an accident, you are able to file a personal injury claim against the party that acted negligently and caused the accident to occur. However, it is important to know that every case is different. There are instances where other parties can be held liable as well.

      For instance, manufacturers, designers, and even retailers can be held liable for defective product accidents. In truck accidents, the drivers, trucking companies, cargo companies, or even the manufacturer of the vehicle can be held accountable.

      Our lawyers can meet with you to discuss your case and help you identify all liable parties to take legal action against.

    • How long will it take to recover compensation for my case?
      Each case is unique. For this reason, it is difficult to determine how long you will have to wait to recover compensation for your claim. Cases that are more complex tend to take longer. Some cases can be resolved in months whereas others can take several years to reach a settlement offer or a verdict. If the case goes to trial, it will take a lot longer than cases that are able to settle ahead of a trial.
    • Will I have to go to court for my personal injury claim?
      If your case is not able to be settled through negotiation, then it will need to go to trial. If the case does go to trial, you will have to go to court for the hearing dates. It is important to recognize that the majority of personal injury cases are able to be settled without going to trial.
    • What is mediation?

      Mediation is a settlement conference that takes place before going to trial for a personal injury claim in Utah. During mediation, the claimant and the defendant, along with their attorneys, will meet with a mediator. The mediator is usually a retired lawyer or judge.

      The mediator will listen to both sides of the argument and act as a neutral party to help resolve the conflict. If the two sides are not able to come to a settlement agreement during mediation, then the case will proceed to trial.

    • How long do I have to file a personal injury case?

      In Utah, victims of personal injury accidents have up to four years from the date of the accident to bring a personal injury claim to court. If you fail to file a claim within the provided statute of limitations, you may be unable to pursue legal action against the at-fault party.

      If the case is filed against the Utah state government, the statute of limitations is shortened to one year from the day of the accident. If your claim is denied, you have one year from the date of the denial to file an appeal. Working with our experienced personal injury attorneys in Utah will ensure your case is filed within the applicable statute of limitations.

    • How can I get my vehicle repaired after a car accident?

      After a motor vehicle accident, you will need to report the property damage to your vehicle to your own insurance company as well as the insurance company of the at-fault driver. An insurance adjuster from the other party’s insurance will contact you to move forward with obtaining repair estimates so you can get your vehicle repaired quickly.

      Your claim for your vehicle repairs will be resolved much faster than the claim for your personal injuries. This allows you to get your vehicle repaired or replaced in a timely manner so you are able to get back on the road quickly.

    • What is comparative negligence?

      Utah has a comparative negligence law in place that states that a person is able to file a lawsuit against another person to recover compensation for damages so long as the claimant is not more than 50% at-fault for their accident.

      If you are less than 50% at fault for your accident, you are able to recover compensation for your damages. It is important to note that the percentage of fault you are assigned for your accident will reduce the total damages you recover.

    • Utah is a “No-Fault” state. What is a no-fault system?

      Under state personal injury law, no matter who is at fault for a car accident, those harmed recover the first $3,000 for medical expenses from their own insurance companies. This is dictated by the Personal Injury Protection or PIP Statute.

      Your own insurance company will provide you with the compensation you need to cover some of your damages resulting from a car accident. However,  if the damages you suffer are greater than $3,000, you will be able to file a personal injury claim to recover further compensation for your damages and to help pay medical bills.

    • Who will pay my medical bills while I wait for a settlement?

      You are responsible for all of the accrued medical expenses resulting from your accident until you recover compensation. In some instances, insurance companies will cover the costs of care you receive.

      There are also some medical providers who are willing to make payment arrangements or provide services to you while waiting for your lawsuit to conclude. Our lawyers at Jardine Law Office can help you find reliable medical professionals to ensure you are able to get the care you need.

    • What is negligence?

      In a personal injury case, negligence is the failure of a party to exercise reasonable care. Negligence indicates that a person failed to act as a responsible person would under the same circumstances. It is imperative that you are able to prove negligence or you will not generally obtain a desirable verdict on your personal injury claim.

      You must further demonstrate that the negligence of the defendant caused your injuries and damages. A skilled personal injury attorney in Salt Lake City can help you prove all of the elements of negligence that existed at the time of your accident.

    • Are there caps on the amount of damages I can recover for my lawsuit?

      In Utah, there are various limits on the damages that victims recover from personal injury lawsuits. However, limits are only imposed on the amount of non-economic damages victims can recover for medical malpractice cases.

      Utah Code Section 78B-3-410 provides that victims are able to recover up to $450,000 for non-economic (pain and suffering) damages for medical malpractice cases for incidents after May 15, 2010.

    • How much is my personal injury case worth?

      Without reviewing the circumstances surrounding your accident, it can be challenging to determine how much you are going to recover. In general, accidents that result in severe and life-altering injuries generally result in larger verdicts and settlement offers than minor accidents. Courts take various factors into consideration when determining how much a case is worth. Some factors include:

      • The types of injuries a victim suffers from.
      • How the injuries impact their ability to work and perform various tasks.
      • The quality of life a victim has after their accident compared to their quality of life prior to the incident.
      • If the injuries require long-term treatment that will result in high medical bills.
      • Who was involved in the accident.
      • How long you will deal with lost wages from your accident.

      Our personal injury attorney can meet with you to discuss your case and determine the value of your claim.

    • What type of damages can I recover?

      If you are hurt in a personal injury accident, you are able to collect compensation for your economic and non-economic damages. This includes compensation for economic damages, such as:

      • Medical bills
      • Property repairs
      • Long-term care costs
      • Lost wages
      • Lost income over the remainder of your career had you been able to continue working

      Additional compensation is available for economic damages, like:

      • Pain and suffering
      • Mental anguish
      • The loss of consortium
      • Loss of enjoyment of life
      • Permanent scarring
      • Disfigurements

      At Jardine Law Office, our personal injury attorney can meet with you to discuss your case and help you better understand what damages are available to you. We will fight to ensure you get a full and fair settlement for your claim.

    • What do I do if an insurance adjuster approaches me?
      After an accident, it is very likely that an insurance company will approach you and offer a settlement. Do not accept this settlement. Instead, you should seek the assistance of legal counsel. You may be able to collect compensation in excess of the amount being offered by the insurance company. It is important that you are able to cover the damages you face after your accident so you do not have to worry as much.
    • Is it necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit?

      After an accident, most victims are approached by the insurance company of the other party. Insurance companies will offer settlements to victims in order to avoid being sued. Victims who desire immediate cash settlements are often quick to accept these offers.

      However, accepting an offer from an insurance company can prevent you from taking legal action in the future. Although you are typically able to accept this type of settlement and avoid filing a personal injury lawsuit, you will not be able to recover the maximum amount of compensation available for you.

    • What are the most common accidents that lead to personal injury lawsuits?

      People can be hurt due to negligence in a variety of situations. Some of the most common types of accidents that lead victims to file an injury claim include:

      • Car accidents
      • Premises liability accidents (dog bites, slip and fall, etc.)
      • sports accidents
      • Truck accidents
      • Snowmobile accidents
      • Sports injury accidents
      • Rideshare Accidents

      If you were injured as a result of the actions of another party, our law firm can help you with the claims process to get compensation and receive justice.

    • What is a personal injury?

      A personal injury case involves someone being harmed as a result of another person’s actions. According to Utah law, there are a variety of situations that can lead to a person filing a personal injury lawsuit.

      These include:

      • Accidents: When people are harmed as a result of another person’s negligence or carelessness, they are typically deemed accidents. These can include slip and fall accidents, car accidents, medical malpractice, and various other cases.
      • Intentional acts: These situations can include instances where people are harmed by a person’s intentional conduct. This can include a claimant filing a claim after being assaulted, stabbed, shot, or subjected to another intentional tort.
      • Defective products: There are instances where people are harmed by defective vehicles, consumer products, pharmaceutical products, medical devices, or other types of products that are defective.
      • Defamation: In Utah, injured parties are able to file lawsuits against parties who used defamatory statements that caused them harm.
  • Gun Owner FAQ

    • What can I do to protect myself against the “justice system”?
      Your best defense is to 1) act lawfully, and 2) have a top-notch attorney on retainer.  Jardine Law Offices (“JLO”) has several affordable retainer programs for gun owners.  Simple protection for one person starts at $24.99 per month.  This will provide you with an experienced defense attorney that is just a phone call away.  Call today to put JLO in your corner.
    • I just had an encounter using my gun, what should I do next?
      Assuming the scene is now secure, and you are safe, call your attorney, then call the police.  If you do not have an attorney, or cannot immediately speak with your attorney, call the police.  When the police arrive, tell them you would like to have an attorney present before you answer any questions.  Many cases are won or lost by the words that come out of your mouth when the police arrive.  Simply repeat the phrase “I want my attorney present before I answer any questions.”  It is possible that you may be arrested, but that is much better than you engaging in a conversation with the police.
    • When am I justified in using “deadly force”?

      You are justified in using deadly force only when reasonably necessary to protect yourself or others against the imminent use of deadly force, or to prevent a forcible felony, or in defense of your habitation as defined by law.

    • What is “deadly force”?
      Deadly force is “force intended or likely to produce death or serious bodily injury”.
    • What does it mean to “brandish” a firearm?
      If you draw or exhibit your weapon, in the presence of two or more individuals, in an angry and threatening manner, or use your weapon in a fight or quarrel, and the conditions of self-defense do not apply, you will have “brandished” or “threatened” with your firearm.  This is a class A misdemeanor and is punishable by up to 364 days in jail.
    • At what point in a confrontation am I allowed to draw attention to my firearm?
      You are allowed to inform others of the fact that you possess a deadly weapon only to prevent what you  reasonably perceive may be another’s attempted use unlawful force.  Further, you must not have instigated the situation.  Otherwise, if the conditions of self-defense by use of deadly force apply, you can also use your weapon.
    • Are the times when I may be temporarily precluded from possessing a firearm?
      Yes, there are certain conditions which may prohibit you temporarily from possessing a firearm.  Some of those conditions include: 1) being intoxicated by either alcohol or drugs; 2) being under court order to not possess firearms; 3) entering a “gun-free” zone.
    • Am I allowed to own a firearm?

      If you are 1) over the age of 18 2) have not had any felony or domestic violence convictions on your criminal record 3) are not the subject of any protective order or restraining orders 4) are not a fugitive from justice 5) have not been adjudicated as mentally defective or incompetent, 6) are not an illegal alien, 7) have not been convicted of a crime involving domestic violence, 8) have not renounced your US citizenship, 9) were not discharged dishonorably from the US armed forces, 10) are not under indictment for any felony, 11) have not been adjudicated delinquent for any offense that would be considered a felony if committed as an adult in the last 7 years, 12) are not intentionally in possession of a controlled substance; 13) are not intoxicated by alcohol, 14) are not on probation or parole for any felony or controlled substance offence.

      THEN, you can legally own a firearm.  You must be at least 21 to own a handgun.

    • What is the difference between owning and possessing a firearm?
      To own a firearm is to hold the title, or in other words, to be the lawful owner of the firearm.  To possess a firearm is to hold dominion and control over the firearm.  Holding a firearm in your hand, suitcase, backpack or even automobile can be considered possession.
    • Does the “Castle Doctrine” apply in Utah?
      Yes!  You are allowed to defend your home or apartment but only so long as you “reasonably believe” that force is necessary.  Furthermore, you can only use “deadly force” if entry is “attempted in a violent and tumultuous manner, surreptitiously, or by stealth” AND you reasonably believe that the entry “is attempted or made for the purpose of assaulting or offering personal violence to any person,” or – if you are present in the home – you reasonably believe “that the force is necessary to prevent the assault or offer of personal violence.”  Alternatively, you can use deadly force if you reasonably believe that the person is entering the home for the purpose of “committing a felony in the [home] and that the force is necessary to prevent the commission of the felony.”
    • When am I allowed to stand my ground?
      You are allowed to stand your ground if you are lawfully positioned in the place where you are at the time of the altercation.  The only exception to this is if you are the aggressor or have engaged in combat by agreement.
    • Is Utah a “stand your ground” state?
      Yes!  There is no duty for you to retreat from a place where you have “lawfully entered or remained.”  Obviously, if you are somewhere where you are not supposed to be, then the question may be raised as to whether you could have reasonably retreated to another location.
    • What are the 6 factors that determine “imminence” and “reasonableness” in justifying self-defense?
      The 6 factors are: 1) the nature of the danger, 2) the immediacy of the danger, 3) the probability that the unlawful force would result in death or serious bodily injury, 4) the other individual’s prior violent acts or violent propensities, 5) any patterns of abuse of violence in the parties’ relationship, and 6) any other relevant factors.  How many of these factors need to weigh in your favor to justify you shooting your weapon in self-defense?  There is no set number, but the more the better!
    • What does it mean to act in “self-defense”?
      To act in “self-defense” means to use force to defend yourself or others against the imminent use of unlawful force.  If you wish to use a firearm in “self-defense”, you can only do so when you reasonably believe that “force is necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury” to you or another person, or to prevent certain forcible felonies.  Note the difference, you can protect yourself against non-life-threatening events, but not with deadly force – you can’t use your gun in this circumstance.  You can use your gun only when you have reasonable fear of imminent force likely to cause death or serious bodily injury.  The judge or jury will decide if the danger was “imminent” and if your use of force was “reasonable” using a 6 factor test.   You can read the law here.
    • Am I allowed to use my gun to defend my property?
      Generally … no!  You are not allowed to use “deadly force” to protect your property.  You are allowed to use force, but only to the extent you reasonably believe force is necessary to protect your property from “criminal interference.” The determination of “reasonable” is a 4 factor test, which you can read about here.
    • Am I allowed to defend myself in Utah?
      Yes!  Utah recognizes the right to defend yourself or another individual when you reasonably believe that “force or a threat of force is necessary” to protect you or another against the “imminent use of unlawful force.”  The key here is you are acting to defend, you are not the aggressor.  If you start the fight, or if you engage in the fight as an “excuse” to use your weapon you will not be justified.  Keep in mind you can only use deadly force when you “reasonably believe” it is necessary to prevent “death or serious bodily injury”.  In other words, you can’t bring a gun to win an argument, a wrestling match, or even a fistfight.  You can only use a firearm to prevent death or serious bodily injury.  You are also allowed to use a gun to prevent certain felonies.  If you have additional questions, talk to an attorney.
  • Educator FAQ

    • Am I eligible for the Jardine Law Offices Protection for Educators Program?

      If you are currently a licensed educator or a school district employee in the State of Utah, and you are not presently under investigation or on administrative leave, you are eligible to enroll in the JLO Protection for Educators Program (“PEP”). An “educator” is defined as anyone employed by the school district, who has passed a background check, and regularly comes into contact with students: this includes teachers, teacher’s aides, administrators, coaches, janitors, playground attendants, substitute teachers, kitchen staff, etc.

      Be aware that enrolling in the PEP will only protect you from the day you enroll going forward. Stated differently, if you were concerned about something that happened last week and decided you might need an attorney to help you, you are too late. PEP will not cover you for past actions, it will only cover you for future actions.

      In the example above, JLO attorneys would still be willing and able to help you, but you will be required to pay a minimum of $2,500 to put JLO on retainer. If charges were later filed against you, you would then be responsible for potentially tens of thousands of additional dollars in attorney’s fees.

      Given the current chaotic social environment, the prudent professional will enroll in PEP at the cost of a daily soda from a vending machine, rather than potentially paying out tens of thousands of dollars on a future claim.

    • How can I protect myself when the NEA/DEA/UEA will not?

      Jardine Law Offices (“JLO”) has created the Protection for Educators Program (“PEP”). Once enrolled, PEP will defend you against any criminal allegations made against you while you are at school. This would include any allegations regarding students, co-workers, administrators, or school property. Your coverage is immediate once you retain us. There is no deductible to pay, there is no reimbursement to worry about, there is no worry. You simply pay your monthly retainer, and we do the rest. That retainer is an easy $19.99 per month.

      Have you been wrongly admonished by your supervisor? Have you been placed on administrative leave? Did you injure your knee going up the stairs at school? We have you covered! If you would like to also receive legal advice and protection in the areas of work-related injuries and employment issues, the monthly retainer is still only $29.99 per month.

      Did you get a DUI over the weekend? Did you get in a fight at home where the police were called? Were you arrested as part of a protest? If it happened in Utah, we have the solution for you. Coverage for all of those situations, 24/7 coverage for any issue like that within the State of Utah, is only $34.99 per month.

      Contact us today to answer any questions and to start this important legal protection.

    • Why doesn’t the UEA/DEA/NEA or school district protect me with respect to alleged crimes?

      The answer is simple: optics. What organization wants to be associated with child abusers? What organization wants to be associated with any sort of criminal?

      Once allegations have been levied against a teacher, the organization wants to create some space between the individual and the organization. Schools will put out statements of horror and disbelief that one of their own could commit such a heinous act. They want to make it clear that the act you are accused of is not condoned by them.

      Imagine the headline if it were otherwise, if the administration did defend the teacher: “School District Successfully Defends Teacher Against Child Abuse Allegations!” What message would that send to the community regarding that school? No, remember, the school district is on the side of the school and the students, not the teachers.

    • Does professional malpractice insurance have me covered?

      The answer here is sometimes. Typically, insurance policies will only cover you for your negligent actions. Negligent, in this context, means accidental. Stated differently, if your actions are purposeful – if you intended the result — you will generally not be covered.

      Let’s explore 2 examples. In example A, the educator trips in the classroom and accidentally hits a student on the head causing a bloody nose. In example B, the educator is angered by the student to the point that the educator punches the student in the face, again causing a bloody nose. In both examples,

      A and B, the result is the same: a bloody nose. However, the means of getting there is vastly different: one act was negligent while the other was intentional. Malpractice insurance would generally cover example A, but almost never covers example B.

      Likewise, the NEA, UEA and DEA provide coverage for negligent actions; however, if the actions are purposeful, i.e., “outside the course and scope” of employment, you will likely find there is no coverage. Remember, criminal acts are rarely negligent. Therefore, for almost any crime, you will not be covered.

      No coverage means you are on your own. No coverage likely means that you have been placed on administrative leave. No employment combined with no coverage is a recipe for disaster.

    • Does the DEA/NEA/UEA protect me from both civil and criminal liability?

      That is a complicated question to answer. Most educators think they are covered – they are only partially right.

      Generally speaking, school districts and teachers’ unions will step up and at least provide an attorney to defend civil claims against teachers. The NEA states that it will pay millions in attorneys fees and up to a million dollars in damages.

      However, when it comes to criminal claims, it’s a very different story. The NEA, for example, will only pay up to $35,000 if you are accused of a crime, but there’s a catch: the NEA will only reimburse you for those legal costs AFTER you have won your case, AND your actions must have been “within the course and scope of your educational employment activities.” There is a small exception to this rule when the allegation involves corporal punishment.

      What does that phrase, “within the course and scope . . .” mean? It means that your actions must be those of an educator: your actions have to be what every other educator does in that circumstance. Educators typically do not perpetrate crimes on their students as part of their job. Translation: if you are accused of committing a crime against your students, there is a real danger that you will have no coverage.

      It should come as no surprise then, that over the last few years, only 15% of the educators in Utah accused of crimes received legal assistance from the NEA/DEA. So, does that mean the educator is “covered”? Well, if we put that 15% into the grading rubric, and a student got 15% of the assignment correct, it’s probably not something the teacher or the student would be proud of.

      Keep in mind, that for minor crimes, $35,000 would likely cover the legal defense costs. However, for the more substantial charges, attorney fees can easily reach $100,000. In 2019 the median bank account balance for individuals was $5,300. Unless the educator is well above the median, it is unlikely that they will have sufficient funds to pay for a legal defense.

    • What is the difference between criminal law and civil lawsuits?

      Unless you work in the legal industry, you may not appreciate the difference between criminal law and civil law. In a nutshell, criminal law deals with crime and punishment, and civil law deals with disputes that are not criminal in nature.

      When a person is accused of a crime, their liberty interests are at stake. In layman’s terms, if a person is convicted of a crime, it is possible they may be punished with jail or prison time. Additionally, the person could be fined or placed on probation.

      If a person is sued in civil court, and loses, the penalty will generally be a monetary award in favor of the other party. A civil court, however, cannot order jail or prison against either party except in rare circumstances.

      Let me use an example that some of you may remember. In 1995, O.J. Simpson, a famous football player, was charged with the murders of his wife, Nicole Brown, and Ronald Goldman. He was defended by a “dream team” of lawyers including F. Lee Bailey, Robert Blasier, Shawn Chapman Holley, Robert Shapiro, and Alan Dershowitz; Johnnie Cochran later became the defense team’s lead attorney. In the

      end, O.J. was acquitted – he was found to be not guilty of all the charges. That meant that the court could not punish him, he did not go to jail or pay any fines for these allegations. The criminal case was over.

      However, after his acquittal, O.J. was sued in civil court, by the estate of his late wife, for her wrongful death. O.J. lost that trial and was required to pay $33.5 million as a penalty for his actions. The civil court took his money but did not have authority to take his freedom, only a criminal conviction could do that.

    • I’ve been asked to meet with the police to answer some questions, what do I do?

      You need to contact your lawyer ASAP and seek legal protection. If you don’t presently have an attorney, find one before speaking with the police. Many cases are won or lost at the “investigation” stage. Police officers are very good at making an interview with them seem routine. Nothing could be further from the truth. Facing a police officer on your own is like giving a loaded gun to an infant. You may believe that, because you have a college degree and are good at expressing yourself, you can avoid any serious mistakes that may jeopardize your future. You may believe that “just being honest” with the officer will make all your problems go away. You may think that “you have nothing to hide” so why not talk with the officer? Please recognize that those types of thoughts and feelings have led many a fool like a lamb to the slaughter. Police officers are trained interrogators that will take your statements out of context and spin them to fit their narrative. Your only chance is to hire a skilled attorney to balance the inherent inequality of power and protect your constitutional rights. This is exactly the situation that PEP is designed to deal with. Instead of scrambling to find and vet a competent defense attorney – a process that can take days or longer – you will have a top-notch defense team at your disposal and only a phone call away. With PEP you don’t have to worry about deductibles or up-front retainer costs; once you are enrolled, you are protected at your chosen level of protection. If you are not yet enrolled in PEP, call today and get the ball rolling in your defense.

    • What is my legal exposure as an educator?

      The following are a few examples of claims that educators face. Civil claims against teachers include student injuries, charges of educational malpractice, corporal punishment, and civil rights claims. Criminal claims include things like child abuse, sexual harassment, embezzlement, and inappropriate sexual contact with students. You get the idea. Without some outside assistance, educators could be held responsible for the expense of defending themselves against the child that has an accident in wood shop or during a sporting event. This could ultimately cost the educator tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees and even more in damages to be paid to the child. The same goes for any criminal allegations levied against the educator. Keep in mind that these expenses will often be incurred when the educator has been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation. Bottom line, the prudent educator will have some form of protection against these eventualities.

    • Once I am enrolled in PEP are there any additional fees or deductibles I will be responsible for?

      No. PEP will cover all your legal expenses. Terms and conditions do apply, please read your retainer contract, or pick up the phone and give us a call, for exact details.

    • Once I’m enrolled in PEP, how much do I have to pay to speak with my attorney?

      Consultations are always free to PEP participants. So long as your monthly retainer is paid, you have priority access to your attorney. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Sometimes 5 minutes of advice, at a critical juncture, can prevent years of suffering. If you are enrolled in PEP, don’t hesitate to contact your attorney whenever the need arises.

    • I already have legal protection through the union, administration, or insurance, do I need PEP?

      PEP was created by Jardine Law Offices (“JLO”) because all other forms of legal protection fall short of fully protecting you. JLO offers to be “on retainer” for you once you are enrolled in PEP. That means the attorneys at JLO are only a phone call, email, or text message away from answering your question. If you do not have an attorney on retainer, you may not receive the legal advice you need in a timely fashion. Consider for a moment what steps would be necessary for you to actually speak with an attorney regarding an honest and legitimate concern you have. How long will it take to get an appointment? How much will you pay for that appointment? Will your current plan allow you to speak directly to an attorney, or do you have to fill out paperwork, or send in a request for approval? If the attorney agrees to help you, how much will it cost? Do you know your attorney’s name, or the firm they are associated with? If you don’t know the answers to these questions, do you really have the coverage you think you do? The reality is that sometimes you need to speak with an attorney today, not tomorrow, not next week, but today. Enrollment in PEP grants quick, worry-free access to an attorney today, and continuing access tomorrow. You don’t have to worry about permission or paperwork, you simply need to pick up the phone and ask to speak with your attorney.

    • What is PEP?

      PEP is an abbreviation for the Jardine Law Offices’ (“JLO”) Protection for Educators Program (“PEP”) – JLO’s PEP. It is an amazing and revolutionary legal protection program that is delivered directly to teachers without the involvement of middlemen, unions, or school administration. It is a program where you have direct access to a team of attorneys to protect and advise you when you need it most. There is no other program like it on the market today.

  • Main FAQs

      There is no such thing as “aggravated” DUI in Utah. Our DUI’s can be enhanced, however, by things such as having minors in the car, getting in accidents resulting in injuries while intoxicated, and more.
      Under Utah state law, domestic violence occurs when a person commits (or attempts to commit) any crime involving violence or physical harm against a cohabitant.
      Utah gives its citizens up to four years to file a lawsuit seeking monetary damages as a result of an auto accident.
      Under Utah state law, anyone injured from a slip and fall accident has up to four years to file a personal injury lawsuit.
      The minimum jail time following your first DUI offense is two days.
      In Utah, an “ex parte” order is one made without notifying the defendant and before the defendant first appears in court.
      Utah’s “modified” comparative fault rule reduces the amount of monetary damages awarded by a percentage equal to how much fault the plaintiff or claimant is found to have. In other words, if the plaintiff is found to be 50 percent or more at fault, the award amount automatically drops to $0.
      In this case, any lawsuit seeking repair (or replacement) of damaged property must be filed within three years.
      Yes. In cases where an individual loses his or her life, the family of the deceased has two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Keep in mind that the “clock” starts ticking after the death of the individual, not the accident itself.
      Cohabitants are often spouses, former spouses, couples engaged in long-term relationships, roommates, siblings and people who share custody for a child.