Thistle, UT (September 26, 2022) – A truck operator was killed on Monday, September 26th after a collision in Utah County forced him off the roadway just outside of Thistle.
According to sources, the 18-wheeler was traveling westbound on US-6 in Spanish Fork Canyon when an accident caused it to leave the righthand side of the highway on a downhill grade.
The semi then smashed through a concrete barrier, sliding about 300 feet before tumbling to the bottom of a steep embankment. After coming to an uncontrolled stop, both the trailer and the cab caught fire.
The truck driver was pronounced dead at the scene by first responders. Their Identity has not been released pending family notification.
We would like to offer our deepest condolences to the family of the deceased victim at this time.
There are multiple factors that can contribute to an 18-wheeler crash. The trucking company, maintenance contractor, truck owner, cargo loading company, vehicle or parts manufacturer, or even a government agency could be liable for a trucking accident.
People often presume that the truck operator is always at fault for accidents involving 18-wheelers, but this is not necessarily true.
Other factors in 18-wheeler collisions include:
- Driving While Fatigued: Although unadvisable, truck drivers often drive for long hours including overnight. Driving while fatigued or sleep-deprived has a direct effect on drivers’ attention spans and decision-making abilities and can result in serious accidents while they are out on the roadway.
- Failing to Yield: According to Utah law, all drivers are required to obey traffic lights and signs. Crashes often occur that are caused by drivers failing to obey the rules regarding rights of way for pedestrians and other drivers.
- Mechanical Defects or Failures: There are many cases when a part fails to function the way it was meant to. A defective truck part, like faulty brakes, can easily lead to an 18-wheeler accident. For this reason, it is important that 18-wheelers be subjected to routine maintenance by a qualified professional before it is driven on the roadway.
- Drunk or Drugged Drivers: Drunk driving is another frequent cause of 18-wheeler crashes. In fact, drunk driving is a leading cause of accidents among all types of vehicles.
- Driver Error: Accidents stemming from operator error are quite common. Just like the driver of a passenger vehicle, truck operators can make accident-causing mistakes behind the wheel. These errors can be the result of driving too fast, reckless or unlawful driving behaviors, driver distractions, and many other reasons.
In these and other scenarios, injured victims may be able to hold the negligent party liable for their injuries.
18-wheeler accidents occur much more frequently than people realize. Accidents that involve these gigantic vehicles often result in devastation, leaving victims with equally gigantic medical bills and a life that has been turned inside-out.
If you were injured in an accident involving an 18-wheeler, contact our Utah truck accident attorneys at (801) 350-3506 to schedule a free claim evaluation and find out how we can help you.
The Salt Lake City 18-wheeler crash lawyers at Jardine Law Offices P.C. P. C., work hard to make sure their clients see justice done by effectively securing the full amount of compensation as supported by their claims.
Notes: The details and information utilized to create this post were gathered through the use of secondary sources. The details surrounding this accident have not been independently verified by the writing staff at Jardine Law Offices P.C.. These sources include but are not limited to newspaper stories, local news sources, local and state police reports, and eyewitness accounts about serious accidents that take place in Farmington and Salt Lake City, Utah. If you locate any information that is inaccurate, please contact us right away so that we can update the post with the most accurate information available. If you would like the post to be removed, please let us know and we will remove it as soon as possible.
Disclaimers:The attorneys at Jardine Law Offices P.C. have worked hard through the years to build a solid business reputation in the community. We write about these serious incidents to bring awareness about the dangers associated with driving in hopes that our fellow community members will use an abundance of caution when operating a motor vehicle and avoid being involved in a serious accident themselves. This story is not intended to be a solicitation for business. The information provided in this post should not be misconstrued as medical or legal advice. The photos used in this post are not taken from the scene of this accident.