Pedestrians should never fear for their safety when they are walking around Salt Lake City. Unfortunately, there are times when the careless or negligent actions of vehicle drivers lead to serious injuries for pedestrians. At the Jardine Law Offices P.C., our Salt Lake City pedestrian accident attorneys want to discuss what right-of-way laws drivers in and around this area need to be aware of in an effort to keep pedestrians safe.
What are the laws concerning pedestrian right-of-way in SLC?
The laws concerning pedestrian safety are very clear- drivers are required to take all precautions to avoid colliding with pedestrians, regardless of the situation. Specifically, the state statutes specify that:
- Drivers must yield to pedestrians who are lawfully within crosswalks. They must do so by coming to a complete stop. Vehicles approaching another vehicle from the rear that is already stopped for a pedestrian must also stop their vehicles.
- Drivers are not allowed to position their vehicles in a way that can obstruct the free passage of pedestrians in crosswalks.
- Before crossing a sidewalk, drivers are required to yield to pedestrians on the sidewalk by coming to a complete stop.
In an effort to keep pedestrians safe, there are various laws in place that regulate their actions. This includes requirements that:
- Pedestrians shall always use a crosswalk, pedestrian tunnel, or overhead walkway to cross the road unless there are no crosswalks, tunnels, or overhead walkways present within 700 feet of their location.
- If there are no crosswalks available, the pedestrian must cross the road by the shortest straight route to the opposite side possible. Pedestrians should also exercise due care and caution when crossing and yield to vehicle travel if there is no crosswalk.
Most common pedestrian accident injuries
According to data available from the Utah Department of Public Safety’s Highway Safety Office, we can see that there were 830 total collisions involving pedestrians during the latest reporting year. Out of these incidents, there were 811 people injured, and 37 pedestrians killed.
When analyzing this data, it is clear to see that a high percentage of all pedestrian accidents resulted in some sort of fatality or injury. At the Jardine Law Offices P.C., our Salt Lake City pedestrian accident lawyers regularly help clients who have sustained the following types of injuries:
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Severe lacerations or puncture wounds
- Amputations or crush injuries
- Internal organ damage or internal bleeding
Contact us for a free consultation of your case
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in a pedestrian crash caused by the careless and negligent actions of another driver, please seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At the Jardine Law Offices P.C., we have extensive experience handling these cases, and we will conduct a full investigation into the claim so we can recover the following on your behalf:
- Full compensation for your medical bills
- Coverage for lost income if you cannot work
- General household out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
When you need a Salt Lake City pedestrian accident lawyer, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling us at 801-350-3506 for a free consultation.