Building a Wrongful Death Suit
One’s negligent actions at work, while driving or in other scenarios plays an integral role in building our case against them. A Salt Lake City wrongful death attorney from our office will collect evidence surrounding this tragic accident, including autopsy and police reports, to determine what went wrong. After all evidence is collected, we can discuss with families of decedents what monetary award would sufficiently make them whole.
Other factors that may determine what courts could award to surviving spouses or loved ones include:
- An estimate of life expectancy, taking into account both survivor and decedent.
- Current, and expected, expenditures created by the negligent actions leading to death.
- The amount of assets, including income, provided to plaintiff by deceased person’s work.
- Whether any children or dependents will suffer major life changes resulting from death of parent.
The Jardine Law Offices will also consider the nature of accident, including the level of negligence which caused an unwarranted death. We will discuss potential outcomes with plaintiffs involved.
In California, plaintiffs have two years to file wrongful death action against those who committed acts that killed their loved one.
Let Us Hold Negligent Parties Accountable
Survivors may seek action on their own, however the dangers of navigating Utah courts without knowledge of proper procedure can bury cases before they start. Moreover, offending parties are notorious for offering very little for their own actions, claiming the decedent was equally at fault.
A Salt Lake City wrongful death attorney from The Jardine Law Offices knows the court system, how to file briefs, motion for discoveries and in many cases, settle favorably before ever reaching court.
Courts have contended plaintiffs must prove these elements in their wrongful death claim:
- The defendant had an inherited responsibility to care for the decedent to some capacity, whether that means avoiding running into their vehicle or operating machinery properly.
- To whatever degree, the defendant breached that duty.
- The decedent’s demise resulted from that breach.
- Some type of damage to the decedent occurred, meriting a financial and/or punitive punishment to defendant.
We know how survivors must feel after they’ve lost someone they loved so dearly. Because survivors must act on behalf of the individual who perished, it’s imperative you contact an aggressive, thorough yet compassionate Salt Lake City wrongful death attorney to assist in bringing these wrongdoers to justice.
The Jardine Law Offices is here to help survivors of wrongfully killed loved ones. Our consultation is free.