Truck Accidents in the United States – What Do the Statistics Say?
Alongside other motor-related duties, the agency known as the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) is responsible for collating and analyzing data relating to truck accidents across the United States. As it takes some time to sift through the data, recognize patterns, and compile reports which make sense to even those with no relevant knowledge, this most recent set of statistics relates to 2016 truck accidents. Here is a brief overview of what the FMCSA had to report:
- Around 4,400 truck accidents occurred around the United States
- This figure is approximately 2% higher than the 2015 numbers but, thankfully, remains significantly lower (over 25%) than the all-time high in 2005
- These 4,400 truck accidents resulted in 119,000 injuries to the occupants of the various vehicles involved, as well as innocent passers-by
Within Utah itself, 2016 statistics read as follows:
- Fatal truck accidents increased from 25 in 2016 to 38 in 2017, or around 14% of all fatal traffic accidents
- 2016 saw a concerningly large increase on the running three-year average, suggesting there is work to be done to make the state’s roads safer
- In better news for residents in Layton, and across Davis County, this specific area saw a decrease in the number of truck accident-related fatalities
Common Causes of Layton Truck Accidents, According to Our Attorneys
Truck accidents, like all other accidents involving motor vehicles, tend to be caused by the behavior of the drivers in question. Although defective vehicle parts can play a role, the most common factors contributing to both fatal, and non-fatal, truck accidents include:
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Driver fatigue, particularly when truck drivers exceed their maximum allowable hours
- Distracted driving
- Improper turning, failure to yield, and similar negligence
Our Layton truck accident attorneys are highly-experienced, and confident in their abilities to recover compensation for even the most complex of collisions.
Discuss Your Layton Truck Accident with an Expert Attorney Now
If you have been injured, or lost a loved one, in a Layton truck accident, you could be entitled to recover monetary damages and compensation. To discuss your individual circumstances with an outstanding Layton truck accident attorney, call us today at 801-451-9555.