Farmington, UT (June 11, 2022) – One man was killed and another was critically injured during a head-on accident caused by a wrong-way driver on Interstate 15 on Saturday, July 11th.
The incident took place at about 3:00 a.m. in the southbound lanes of the interstate when, according to the Utah Highway Patrol troopers, the driver of a Chevrolet Silverado pick-up truck was heading north in the southbound HOV lane with its headlights off. The Silverado then veered out of the lane and crashed head-on with an oncoming Toyota Camry.
The Camry’s driver, a man in his 20s, died on impact. The driver of the Silverado, also a man in his 20s, was transferred to a local hospital with critical injuries. Neither of their names has been released.
Officials said that alcohol is being looked at as a contributing factor as to why the driver of the truck was going the wrong way. There are no street lights in the area where the collision occurred, which further impeded visibility.
The area was closed down for about four hours as police worked to determine the cause of the crash.
So far in 2022, Utah has witnessed a total of 58 wrong-way accidents, up almost 50% from the same time last year. The state has averaged roughly 318 wrong-way accidents during the last three years.
We would like to offer our deepest condolences to the family of the deceased victim at this time.
There are many different circumstances that can lead to wrongful death, including situations where your loved one has been involved in a deadly car crash, fallen victim to medical malpractice, intentionally killed, or any other event resulting from someone’s negligence or malice.
The most common kinds of wrongful deaths in Utah include:
- Injuries and accidents: When an accident happens due to the reckless or negligent behavior of another person, a driver, poorly maintained roadways, a defective auto part, construction site accidents, and many other events, disastrous injuries can occur. If the negligence act contributed to the death of another person, a survival claim and wrongful death claim can be filed.
- Medical malpractice: Medical malpractice takes place when the negligence of a nurse, surgeon, hospital, or other health care entity or provider has resulted in a patient’s death. Common examples include incorrect drug dosages, surgical errors, misdiagnoses, or delayed treatment. When a patient dies due to medical negligence, certain surviving family members may be entitled to file a wrongful death suit.
- Defective or dangerous drugs: When a pharmaceutical company fails to provide adequate warnings to consumers and the Federal Drug Administration about the harmful effects of their medications, they are accountable for any injuries that occur as a result. In the event that a patient dies from taking a defective or dangerous medication, a wrongful death attorney can help you file a lawsuit against the manufacturer.
- Defective and dangerous products: Manufacturers are tasked with ensuring that their products are safe for consumers. When his duty is breached by their failure to warn against, report, or identify a defect in their product or danger inherent in its use, a liability suit can be filed. Should a consumer die from using a product with dangers or defects a manufacturer neglected to warn them about, a wrongful death claim can be brought against them.
There are many kinds of compensation available in survival and wrongful death suits including:
- Loss of past and future companionship, love, comfort, society, advice, pleasure, protection, affection, and care
- Loss of past and future monetary aid
- Reduction or loss of inheritance
- The pain and suffering the deceased experienced due to their injury and subsequent death
- Burial and funeral costs or the expense of cremation
- Medical expenses associated with the decade’s injuries
- Loss of income, which can include the projected future wages and benefits the deceased would have contributed to the household had they lived
- Benefits and assistance that would have provided had they survived
Based on the circumstances surrounding the death, there could be more legal remedies available to surviving family members. A Utah wrongful death lawyer can determine which damages apply to your claim.
Let our attorneys attend to the complexities of the legal process while you and your family focus on healing. If you lost someone you love due to negligence, contact our wrongful death lawyers in Utah at 801-350-3506 to schedule a free case evaluation.
Notes:The details and information utilized to create this post were gathered through the use of secondary sources. The details surrounding this accident have not been independently verified by the writing staff at Jardine Law Offices P.C.. These sources include but are not limited to newspaper stories, local news sources, local and state police reports, and eyewitness accounts about serious accidents that take place in Farmington and Salt Lake City, Utah. If you locate any information that is inaccurate, please contact us right away so that we can update the post with the most accurate information available. If you would like the post to be removed, please let us know and we will remove it as soon as possible.
Disclaimers:The attorneys at Jardine Law Offices P.C. have worked hard through the years to build a solid business reputation in the community. We write about these serious incidents to bring awareness about the dangers associated with driving in hopes that our fellow community members will use an abundance of caution when operating a motor vehicle and avoid being involved in a serious accident themselves. This story is not intended to be a solicitation for business. The information provided in this post should not be misconstrued as medical or legal advice. The photos used in this post are not taken from the scene of this accident.