Tooele Co, UT (August 26, 2022) – A fiery collision between two tractor-trailers, one transporting car parts, the other hauling wheat, shut down a portion of Interstate 80 on Friday, August 26th in Tooele County.
According to the Utah Highway Patrol, at about 1:00 a.m., one of the tractor-trailers was traveling westbound near milepost 41 when it was rear-ended by another tractor-trailer.
The force of the impact coupled the trucks before they caught fire and stopped on the righthand shoulder of the interstate. Both vehicles were quickly consumed by the flames.
One driver was airlifted from the scene in critical condition. The other was unharmed.
Our thoughts are with the injured victim and their family at this time. We hope for their full recovery.
People are quick to think that the truck operator is always to blame for accidents involving tractor-trailers, but this is not automatically the case. The trucking company, truck owner, vehicle or parts manufacturer, cargo loading company, maintenance contractor, or even a government agency could be liable for a trucking accident.
There are many different factors that can contribute to the likelihood of a tractor-trailer accident taking place, such as:
- Mechanical Failure: There are many cases when a part fails to function the way it was meant to. A defective truck part, like faulty brakes, can easily lead to a truck accident. For this reason, it is important that tractor-trailers be subjected to routine maintenance by a qualified professional before it is driven on the roadway.
- Operator Error: Accidents stemming from operator error are quite common. Just like the driver of a passenger vehicle, truck operators can make accident-causing mistakes behind the wheel. These errors can be the result of driving too fast, reckless or unlawful driving behaviors, driver distractions, and many other reasons.
- Failure to Yield: According to Utah law, all drivers are required to obey traffic lights and signs. Crashes often occur that are caused by drivers failing to obey the rules regarding rights of way for pedestrians and other drivers.
- Drowsy Driving: Although unadvisable, truck operators often drive for long hours including overnight. Driving while fatigued or sleep-deprived has a direct effect on drivers’ attention spans and decision-making abilities and can result in serious accidents while they are out on the roadway.
- Driving Under the Influence: Drunk driving is another frequent cause of tractor-trailer crashes. In fact, drunk driving is a leading cause of accidents among all types of vehicles.
In most situations, victims may be able to hold the negligent party liable for their injuries.
The Salt Lake City tractor-trailer collision lawyers at Jardine Law Offices P.C. P. C., work hard to make sure their clients see justice done by doing whatever is necessary to secure the full amount of compensation as supported by their claims.
Tractor-trailer collisions are a lot more common than people think. Accidents that involve these massive vehicles usually end in devastation, leaving victims with equally massive medical bills and a life that has been turned upside down.
If you were injured in a truck accident, contact our Utah tractor-trailer accident attorneys at (801) 350-3506 to schedule a free claim evaluation and find out how we can help you.
Notes: The details and information utilized to create this post were gathered through the use of secondary sources. The details surrounding this accident have not been independently verified by the writing staff at Jardine Law Offices P.C.. These sources include but are not limited to newspaper stories, local news sources, local and state police reports, and eyewitness accounts about serious accidents that take place in Farmington and Salt Lake City, Utah. If you locate any information that is inaccurate, please contact us right away so that we can update the post with the most accurate information available. If you would like the post to be removed, please let us know and we will remove it as soon as possible.
Disclaimers:The attorneys at Jardine Law Offices P.C. have worked hard through the years to build a solid business reputation in the community. We write about these serious incidents to bring awareness about the dangers associated with driving in hopes that our fellow community members will use an abundance of caution when operating a motor vehicle and avoid being involved in a serious accident themselves. This story is not intended to be a solicitation for business. The information provided in this post should not be misconstrued as medical or legal advice. The photos used in this post are not taken from the scene of this accident.