Park City, UT (July 29, 2022) – A passenger sustained critical injuries after being ejected from a vehicle following an accident on Friday, July 29th in Parleys Canyon.
An officer from the Utah Highway Patrol stated that the vehicle was heading westbound on Interstate 80 near milepost 137, just outside of Lambs Canyon when, for reasons still under investigation, the driver lost control of the vehicle and left the roadway where it overturned and struck a median.
A passenger in the vehicle’s back seat was ejected into the eastbound lanes of the interstate during the impact.
The passenger was taken by ambulance to the hospital in extremely serious condition.
Police are considering impairment as a factor in the incident.
The crash resulted in the closure of multiple lanes of traffic which, in turn, resulted in heavy traffic back-ups in both directions.
Our thoughts are with the injured victim and their family at this time. We hope for their full recovery.
Similar to other personal injury cases, victims can seek financial compensation from the liable party. They will, however, have to prove that the driver’s carelessness was the cause of their accident.
Upon successful demonstration of the negligent driver’s liability for the crash, victims may be entitled to collect:
- Non-Economic Damages: Drunk driving victims often endure emotional anguish or other emotional health problems following either their accident or one in which they lost a family member. In these cases, a victim is able to demand non-economic damages from the respondent. These are immaterial losses that do not have anything to do with the victim’s finances.
- Economic Damages: Economic damages are tangible, calculable losses that impact the victim’s financial resources. The person liable is required by the law to compensate the victim for their losses. The victim of a drunk driving accident is able to collect remuneration for their medical costs, lost earnings, and damage to their property.
- Punitive Damages: Punitive damages are intended as a punishment rather than recompense. A court may appoint punitive damages to the respondent if they feel that their behavior was grossly negligent.
Following a crash involving a drunk driver, you need to seek medical care immediately. Drunk driving accidents often cause their victims to experience critical injuries; injuries that can be made much worse by delaying medical attention.
After being involved in an accident, the smartest thing you can do is to agree to be examined by the emergency medical services team even if you are not showing any obvious signs of physical injury.
Some of the most common injuries that victims of Utah drunk driving accidents experience include:
- Broken Bones: Broken bones vary in their severity. A broken bone can encompass anything from a hairline fracture to a compound fracture where the bone is protruding through the skin. Although broken bones eventually heal, it can take some victims a long time to fully recover.
- Traumatic Brain Injury: When people think of head injuries, they often imagine something simple such as dizziness and headaches. There are cases, however, when these symptoms indicate something much more serious, like a traumatic brain injury. In order to ensure that a TBI is properly identified, a professional medical diagnosis is required.
- Burn Injuries: In some circumstances, a vehicle crash can lead to a fire. Vehicle fires often cause collision victims to sustain serious burn injuries and even asphyxiate.
- Crush Injuries: A crush injury occurs when a part of the body is trapped in wreckage from a crash. A medical team needs to quickly extricate you in order to prevent the crush injury from becoming increasingly severe.
If you were hurt due to someone’s irresponsible driving, contact a personal injury attorney from Jardine Law Offices P.C. by calling 801-350-3506 to schedule a free review of your potential case.
Notes: The details and information utilized to create this post were gathered through the use of secondary sources. The details surrounding this accident have not been independently verified by the writing staff at Jardine Law Offices P.C.. These sources include but are not limited to newspaper stories, local news sources, local and state police reports, and eyewitness accounts about serious accidents that take place in Farmington and Salt Lake City, Utah. If you locate any information that is inaccurate, please contact us right away so that we can update the post with the most accurate information available. If you would like the post to be removed, please let us know and we will remove it as soon as possible.
Disclaimers: The attorneys at Jardine Law Offices P.C. have worked hard through the years to build a solid business reputation in the community. We write about these serious incidents to bring awareness about the dangers associated with driving in hopes that our fellow community members will use an abundance of caution when operating a motor vehicle and avoid being involved in a serious accident themselves. This story is not intended to be a solicitation for business. The information provided in this post should not be misconstrued as medical or legal advice. The photos used in this post are not taken from the scene of this accident.