Ask Your Attorney: How often do Bountiful Bus Accidents REALLY Happen?
This is a perfectly reasonable question, and one which our legal experts are asked regularly. After all, it is all well and good telling you that we can represent you excellently, but you may not be aware of just how frequently injuries are sustained as a result of a bus accident. The best way to understand the risk is to familiarize yourself with the facts, such as these statistics from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
According to this official body, 2016’s bus accident facts and figures looked like this:
- 4,440 large trucks and buses were involved in accidents, 2% more than in 2015
- The number of fatal bus and truck accidents has increased by 29% since 2009
- Large bus and truck fatalities also increased by almost 2% compared to 2015
- On average, using figures from between 2000 and 2016, intercity buses are involved in 13% of all fatal bus accidents, with school buses accounting for 40%, and public transit making up an additional 34%
- The number of buses involved in fatal crashes in 2016 amounted to 227, representing a 14% decrease on the 2015 total
Common Causes of Bus Accidents in Bountiful
Whichever type of motor vehicle we are considering, whether it be a car, truck, or bus, many of the accidents occurring on roads across the world could be avoided, had the drivers in question paid sufficient attention and followed the rules of the road. As such, the most common causes of these collisions are broadly the same, regardless of the type of vehicle.
Some of the most common contributing factors we see while litigating over Bountiful bus accidents include:
- Distracted driving, such as using a cellphone, searching for an item in the vehicle, or adjusting GPS
- Driving at excessive speeds, or one which is inappropriate for current conditions
- Reckless driving, including changing lanes without carrying out the proper checks for other vehicles
- Driving whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving while drowsy
If you, or a loved one have been injured while travelling by bus, or in a collision involving a bus, call 801-451-9555 today for your free case evaluation with our Bountiful bus accident attorneys.